Earthquake Emergency Preparedness Plan
Due to the unpredicable nature of earthquakes, it is important for you to have an earthquake emergency preparedness plan in place if you live in an area of high seismic activity. Earthquakes are one of nature's phenomenons that occur without warning. It is highly unlikely that technology will ever be able to provide enough warning to allow preparation time for earthquakes.Before the Quake
During the Tremor
- Locate a place in your home where you will go to during an earthquake. The location should be away from anything that could tip over or fall on you. Plan on seeking shelter under a strong table or desk. If that is not an option, sit up against an interior wall.
- Have a
72 hour kit
available and know it's location.
- Know where the shut off valves are for your water and natural gas lines.
- Attach to the wall any heavy furniture that has the potential of falling over including your water heater.
After the Quake
- If indoors, go to the place you've selected in the planning section above.
- If outdoors, find a clear, open location away from building and power lines where nothing can fall on top of you.
- If you are driving, slow down and find an open area as noted above.
- Stay in these places until the earthquake stops.